Apple to call tech industry "do-over"! :eek:

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
According to sources within Apple, the company is preparing to stun the personal computer industry by calling for a "do-over" of the period from 1985 to the present. Apple CEO Steve Jobs will make the announcement during his Monday keynote at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference.

As part of Apple's ongoing effort to increase market share from its current 5%, the company will exercise a little-known clause of a number of binding contracts agreed to by the major personal computer manufacturers. Found deep within contracts related to the design of certain industry-standard components, the clause originated in a contract covering hard drives that was created in 1985. Designed to create a level playing field in the industry, it has unwittingly been brought foward in subsequent contracts, but has never been exercised.

As part of an industry "do-over", all personal computers, regardless of operating system or purchase date, must be returned to the manufacturer for a refund at the original purchase price. The race for market share will then start again as manufacturers scramble to woo customers all over.

"This is the perfect time for Apple to call 'do-over'," one source said. "Current Macintosh users are unlikely to switch to a PC, but Apple's product line is very strong right now and is likely to entice a significant number of PC users. I think Apple will come out around 20% in a 'do-over'."

There is controversy surrounding the interpretation of the clause. Lawyers representing Microsoft believe that any "do-over" should be a total "do-over", with companies forced to return to the state of technology in 1985. Under this scenario, Microsoft feels it would achieve the same market share it currently holds.

Apple sources, however, believe their firm's chances are good, even in a total "do-over".

"That scenario would allow us to re-select our partners," an Apple source said. "We totally got stuck with Motorola the last time. That was so not fair. This time, we could get Intel, depending on the coin toss."

Jobs' attempt to exercise this clause is likely to meet with severe industry resistance and may face challenges from the Federal Government, over concerns about its effect on the economy.

Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan was decidedly negative on prospect of a computer industry "do-over".

"That's not fair," Greenspan said. "They can't just call 'do-over' just because they're losing. What a bunch of babies."

Nice! But it's typical of Microsoft to pull that kind of legal BS – same with Greenspan. :rolleyes: :D ;) ;) :D

I can't believe this would actually happen. I would be reluctant to do this anyways because I need my computers EVERY day.

They can't seriously expect that people would go without their computers for weeks can they?

In theory it's a good idea, but I couldn't wait for a new computer.

Not to mention how hard it would be to back up the 40-50 gigs worth of stuff I have if I have no computer to store it on.

So, if this was true, does that mean I could return my IIci for the full $6000 or whatever it was and get me a new dual gig G4? SWEET HAHAHA

I realize this is a rumour, but it's a pretty bad one I think.

Erhm... Okay. I think there are several people who can't understand what this ... joke ... is about. Care to explain, please? Did you find this on a website on April 1st? Then it's quite a lame April's joke. Did you make it up? Then I ask: What for? ... Hmm...

And that would have been when? April 1st, I guess. I mean, really, read it again yourself if you're serious about it... Or explain why this was supposed to be funny, if you're not.

Quote: "As part of an industry "do-over", all personal computers, regardless of operating system or purchase date, must be returned to the manufacturer for a refund at the original purchase price. The race for market share will then start again as manufacturers scramble to woo customers all over."

I still have a Colour Classic, a PM 9500/200 (which was VERY expensive), a Mac LC II, a TiBook, a Fujitsu Pentium II, an eMate 300. Okay, there's some fun in thinking about it, but then I could really *use* those tenthousands of dollars anytime. So all you've done really is make me chuckle and feel bad about my financial situation. *cough*

fryke: I told you, I saw it on macrumors.com home page this morning, but as you can see it's been pulled down.

You know, if it was really in the contracts, then Apple could be a ***** and do this. Frankly, I wouldn't mind -- I bought this overpriced cube for about $3000, and now I can just get a new top-end iMac, or even a 933 MHz G4 tower for that matter!

Sheesh. You underestimate the power of lawyers. They have no qualms in pulling things like this.

No offense, but that was the stupidest bit of rubbish I have seen in a while. A "do over"? Did anyone actually fall for this? Notice how nobody has any sources for this so-called "clause". I assume this came from an April 1st article.

Back