Apple to kill 17-inch iMac this June

TAIWANESE WIRE Digitimes, quoting unnamed sources, claimed that Apple will discontinue sales of its 17-inch flat panel iMac this June.

That follows Apple's decision last autumn to stop production of its 15-inch model.

The machines are built, under contract, by Taiwanese manufacturers so it's likely one of these that has slipped Digitimes its scoop.

According to the newspaper, the firm is only likely to sell between 300,000 to 400,000 units between now and June.

Is this likely? One of our readers points out that the 17-inch Imac is supposed to be the mainstream Mac for 2003, unless we're given a surprise by that nice Mr Jobs at the next Macworld. Now the standalone 17-inch display -- that's a different matter. Still, we'll see how this pans out when Apple opens for biz later today

Now if they stopped Production on 15's, and now 17's ... WTF?! ... am i missing something?! ... Do they have TOO much stock?! ... thats the only answer i could work out!

<< maybe this is a blonde moment for me?! >>

Neyo

End of the road for the iLamp? Not so fast.

Posted 1/2/2003 - 5:44PM, by Ken "Caesar" Fisher
A number of you have written in saying that the bell is tolling for Apple's affectionately-dubbed iLamp. As it turns out, DigiTimes is headlining the potential cancellation of the 17" LCD-based iMac, with "sources" saying that manufacturing will stop in June of this year. However, it appears as though Apple is simply switching suppliers, not nixing the 17" iMac model. Furthermore, the rumor mills haven't been abuzz with any dope on a next-generation iMac, which is rather uncharacteristic of such proposed drastic moves. Still, I wouldn't put a 19" iMac too far out of mind, especially since the eMac can cover the lower-end of the spectrum rather well. Perhaps next week's MacWorld San Fran will shed some light on the fate of the iLamp, but as of yet it doesn't appear that Apple is really closing the door in the LCD-based iMacs.

from Ars

Maybe they mean that they are cancelling the 17 inch studio display. Maybe they are cutting prices on LCDs and only offering 19s, 22s, and 23s. Creates somewhat of a gap however ...

Originally posted by bjurusik
Maybe they mean that they are cancelling the 17 inch studio display. Maybe they are cutting prices on LCDs and only offering 19s, 22s, and 23s. Creates somewhat of a gap however ...

I believe that the displays for the 17" LCD Monitor, and 17" iMac come from different places, and aren't tied that closely together. I don't think that a 22" iMac is really soemthing taht apple is looking into.

The replacement of the G3 iMac by the eMac is more possible than the disparition of the iLamp.

Apple already started the kill of the 17'' iMac by releasing 10.2.3. It completely broke my Superdrive, no CD/DVD is mounting anymore. Please gimme a fix Apple

Back