AppleTV Queries

FlashMac

Registered
Hi

I'm thinking of getting one of these, but I have a couple of questions, any advice appreciated.

Video Formats. Yes I have read the Tech Specs but I'm afraid I don't know much about video.

Video formats supported
H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps)
iTunes Store purchased video: 320 by 240 pixels or 640 by 480 pixels
MPEG-4: Up to 3 Mbps, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 720 by 432 pixels at 30 fps)

I know it also says "if its in iTunes, its on AppleTV", I gather that means if iTunes is able to import it, it will work, but I have a lot of different video in different formats so trial and error could be quite time-consuming.
Does it play divx.avi? Or convert it?

I guess we won't know until the full YouTube catalogue comes in the autumn, but how are you going to search that? Screen-input keyboard, or can you hook a keyboard up to the AppleTV? I see theres a USB2.0 port, so I assume so....

Nono. :)

DivX etc. can be enabled via some hack. Search the web for it rather than here.
The youtube catalogue will not be searched by keywords, but rather you'll simply select from a couple of preconfigured lists like "most viewed today" etc.

Back