B&W G3 Expansion Question

ajamitrano

Registered
Hi, I'm thinking about trying to expand my Blue and White G3 because I want to add an internal CDRW drive. However, I see that this is impossible even if I take out my ZIP drive. But, I seem to remember some company a while back making something that sits on top of the tower which I thought had an expansion bay included. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or know where I could find one?

Thanks!

-Anthony

Fraid I don't know the gadget you're talking about.

What about taking out the included CDROM, though? Or is it a DVD drive that you'd want to keep in there?

Well, I would take out the CD-ROM that came with the mac, but I want to keep that in there so I can make copies of CDs. I was looking at www.xlr8yourmac.com to see if it was possible to put the CDRW in the place where the ZIP is, but it says that I'd have to cut the metal, etc. and, in my own estimation, looks too tricky for me because I don't think there is enough room height-wise, even if I cut out the side pieces.

Oh well, thanks for your help!

You can still copy cds without a CD-ROM. You just insert the CD in the CD-RW drive, and use disk copy or toast to make a disk image. Then eject, put in a black cd-r disk, and burn the image you captured through disk copy or toast. I do this with my G4 that only has a CD-RW. Works great.

You'll save money by getting an internal CD-RW. External ones are known to cost more.

Actually, even if you have both CD-ROM and CD-R drives, you want to make a disk image anyway. Otherwise, there is a chance the CD-ROM will spin down while you are burning, and then take too long to spin up again. Result - a coaster.

Back