Backup Options

b0x3r

Registered
Hi, I have two Mac Xserve's that I need to backup (only about 500 GB in files). Preferably I would like to back them up to tape. Does anyone have any recomendations for software/hardware backup options? What have you found to work best?

I have 4 widnows servers that I backup to a tape library using Veritas BackupExec, not sure if there is a Mac remote agent available from Veritas though.

Thanks

It's cheaper/faster to backup to external hard drives. Or if budget is not an issue perhaps an XRAID is in order.

There is a veritas agent for Mac OS X, but most folks have limited success with it. You might want to look at BRU, which can more than handle 500GB.

If you want a hands on comparison, check out the whitepaper on my site, www.district13computing.com/docs/backup3.pdf

The BRU section is a bit old and the paper itself is due to be updated in the near future, once I have the OK to publicly discuss some new software. The new BRU product has a much more usable GUI and appears to be a more stable product overall.

Back