backup strategies

xaub

Registered
Hello,
I was wondering wether one can make a backup image of a working system including software in os x. I am administrating a couple identical macs on a art school. On windows system i use ghost from symantec. Is there any tool like that for mac? Or how do you backup a whole working basic system?
Or is the system repair disk enough?

I am thankfull for any help, hint

Cheers, alex

Here is what you do.

Get your hands on a copy of Retrospect. Install a fresh image of Mac OS X and build your "ideal" image. Then, install retrospect and make a full hard drive copy or image of that install to a new hard drive, or tape back, whatever. Now you have an image. You can copy this image to any other drive, and use for any other computer.

Not as easy to do as Ghost, but does the same thing.

I use a VXA drive to do backups w/ Retrospect.

Hi ScottW,
Thank you very much for your help, i really do appreciate that.
I will get my hands on retrospective now.

What is a vxa drive?

Cheers, Xaub

just for your information: i manage a computerlab as well and naturally i tried out several ways to automate installs as well -- the thing is, however, that it is possible to create bootable copies of a whole setup, but certain features will act strangely -- to give one example, if Final Cut Pro is part of your master file, it will not run as a copy -- it will give an error about a wrong System ID file, and the only way to make it run is to completely reformat the computer -- also, copying all the user accounts will also have strange bugs and missing features -- one last thing that i noticed is that sometimes Disk Burner doesn't work on the 'copied' machine -- anyway, just thought i'd let you know --

Damned, bad news :{
FCP is part of my master file, and i allready know that file id problem.
But what if i dont integrate FCP in the image and just install it manually? It still would save a lot of time a guess.

He, many thanks you let know all that,

Cheers, Xaub

leaving FCP out of the image and installing it manually should work, logically ;-) i haven't tried it though, since i gave up on creating a master image (other applications gave the same errors than FCP, such as Apple Remote Desktop) -- now i just install everything manually -- the only thing i still 'automate' are the user accounts (even though there are bugs there too, but they are minor)

Back