Best AVI player?

I've tried both (VLC and MPlayer) and I prefer MPlayer. It feels a bit snappier than VLC. But then again, maybe it's just me ;)

I simply use Quicktime for AVI's when I come across them, which is (thankfully) seldom.

I haven't found an AVI that Quicktime can open!

So far mplayer's simplicity and MacOSXisms has my vote.

Both players seem to be quirky in their own ways.

Well, open the Quicktime Updater and check everything, then download it all... you may fix that.

I have to agree with jove. All updates installed, still a bunch of avis I simply can't playback. Vlc works just fine.

I have many AVIs Quicktime cannot open. On many of them, sound isn't in sync with video. Even mplayer won't help. I don't know what to do, I'm thinking of installing VPC so I can test my Web pages under MSIE6 and view my films with Windows Media Player, with sound in sync.

The explanation, I think, of the sound prob is that mplayer bugs on some MP3 AVI encoding for sound. It's in their release notes I think. I know buying/installing VPC6 for two products is stupid, but it seems I've got no other solution. I've tried VLC, MPlayer, 3iVX, a few DivX repairments apps, nothing works.

quicktime doesn't handle avi files well. You can get some relief by installing the divx codecs into /library/quicktime but the playback is still hit and miss. VLC is like a rusty swiss army knife. It's up to almost any job but can be sluggish. Mplayer is much smoother but doesn't have the same functionality as VLC. Take your pick I suppose...

toast said:
I have many AVIs Quicktime cannot open. On many of them, sound isn't in sync with video.

Yeah, as far as I know the video format owned by OSx is .mov, quicktime, of course, and, depending on the divx codec used to create che file .avi sometimes you cannot play properly, with correct sound, the avi files.
Solution
Convert .avi files to .mov using a utility like "divxdoctor II"
Once it has been converted normally works

:)

Even mplayer won't help. I don't know what to do, I'm thinking of installing VPC ...

Please DON'T!

Achab

Ibook G3 800 mhz 640 mb ram Dual usb Osx 10.2.8
G5 1,8 ghz 512 MB ram OSx 10.2.8 (waiting for Pahther being delivered)

I use all... my favorite is Mplayer when it works (don't try on partial movies, it may take 100% of your CPU during several minutes for nothing, and you have to kill the preview process). The most reliable is VLC but the interface is a bit heavier. When QT works it's fine, but it's rare. And WMP or RealOne when nothing else works.

BTW you can also try to use ffmpeg to convert to something QT can play...

Back