Best firewall

Impasse (the one I use, very good), and...
Brickhouse

Both use the OSX' internal firewall system (ipfw). Check them out at http://www.versiontracker.com

They are both shareware prices as well, great. MacUser (UK;) ) reviewed Impasse a few weeks ago and gave it something like 4.5 or 5 out of 5.

Thanks, uoba.

Unfortunately I can't get through to versiontracker (and several other sites) at the moment. What the hell's going on today?? The heat's got into everything!

Yep, Brian Hill has written some handy utilities. I use MacJanitor once a week.

But I've just installed Impasse, so I'll see how that goes. For around £8.00 it sounds good to me.

By the way, I love the logo on the glucose web site!

Thanks, chaps

Agreed. But I have 15 items plugged into the mains these days and I don't want any more if I can help it:D

And you need a degree in rocket science to configure one as well! (or be called testuser:D ;) )

It feels like that. When I went down that route, there was no end of agro trying to get the PC, MAC and web surfing working together. In fact, it didn't happen.

Switching ethernet cables at the back of the Mac is so much easier.

Apparently there's the LinkSys Firewall Ethernet 4-port hub that has a built-in firewall and the SMB Browser developer recommended it. MacWarehouse says it's only for the PC, but as it's web-based it works on Macs too.

I need LESS stuff to play with (and get peeved with) in the office, not more:D

Impasse has been installed for 6 hours. Nearly 90 denials so far, though I lost count slightly around the 60 mark.

Do web sites appear to be loading a bit quicker? Seems like it, thanks to less interference I suppose.

Jaguar includes a preference pane to configure the built-in firewall. It works beautifully. Brickhouse and Impasse will no longer be needed in a few weeks.
:D

I look forward to having a bash at that, genghis, especially as I haven't paid for Impasse yet!

However, you may get Jaguar in a few weeks, but these things take a bit longer to reach us poor relations in the UK. I think software gets here on a dog sled via the North Pole with a little detour through central Australia in a Fostered-up camel's hump and then a rowing boat the rest of the way. And then only ten units arrive:D

I'm using NetBarrier, it works great! I still find hardware firewalls more secure... Such as a router with a built in NAT.

Back