Best language to learn

Orbit

MacMan
Ok hey i have experince in Realbasic , html and sorta css
and was wondering what will be the easiest language to learn with the xcode tools?

any language will do except Applescipt.
wat is the most similar to Realbasic?

thanks

the most simmilar to rB? vb :p

I would suggest learning c/c++ or objective-c over Java any day. Java is in my opinion, a pain at best. Great idea, just horrible to work with.

The question you should ask yourself is what do you want to be able to do with this next language?

Make sure you're complete on XHTML and CSS (might as well as you have a start there already).

If you're looking more towards web style apps, learn SQL and PHP after that. Java would also be an excellent choice.

If you're looking more towards computer based apps, then either Objective C or Java.

I dont realy want to learn web languages like php i want to be able to make apps for the mac im currently doing some C++ tutorials on the net :)

C++ is most useful for applications that you might want to run elsewhere. It's an object-oriented language, but very very flexible.

If you've never worked with classes and objects before it requires an adjustment in thinking. Since you've used REALbasic you've had a taste of object-orientedness. Each interface object in REALbasic is akin to an object, and its built-in handlers are like class methods. The properties of each interface object are akin to object data.

Objective-C is an excellent object-oriented language, but not strongly supported on other platforms. With C/C++ you can use cross-platform libraries like Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) to make programs that run on multiple platforms.

Since C++ and Objective-C both encapsulate C you'll need to be well-versed in C anyhow, so tackle this first.

I suggest you choose a simple programming project, like a calculator, and implement it in C. (You'll need to learn the Carbon framework for C/C++.) Your needs at each stage will lead you to investigate the things you need to understand. First you'll have some thing that barely compiles, then a window with buttons, then a bunch of bugs, and eventually a working application. Show your code to an experienced geek and discover how many ways you completely screwed up. Learn better and more proper ways to code it, and rewrite it a dozen times.

Once your calculator is perfect rewrite it in C++.

Then rewrite it in Objective-C. Why not? You'll need to learn the Cocoa frameworks to write in Objective-C.

As part of your C++ learning look into "design paradigms" such as the Model-View-Controller paradigm. Object-oriented code is a paradigm unto itself.

mdnky said:
If you're looking more towards web style apps, learn SQL and PHP after that. Java would also be an excellent choice.

I second that.

I found PHP an absolute doddle to learn. And, once you've cut your teeth on PHP, you're in a good position to move up to all growd up languages like C, C++ and Java.

Plus, Xcode supports PHP [though only in an incidental way, I find] and installing PHP & MySQL are a double-click affair.

better yet, end all social contact, stop eating, sleeping and .. other stuff, and just learn everything!..

Back