best programme for .doc documents?

basslineheart

Registered
hello everyone :)

i've had my mac for some time now and i absolutely love working with pages. however, for university i need most of my documents in the .doc format to send to my professors, and as microsoft powerpoint for presentations. what is the best alternative for me to use? i don't particularly like working with openoffice.

i'd be very grateful for any kind of alternative, or a way of saving .pages files so that they really come out properly (whenever i export them to .doc the table of contents gets completely screwed up)

thanks

Pages can save to a .doc document.

You need to first save your document, then go to the File menu and select Export.
You can also save as a pdf file which makes things so much easier. Just select Print, then at the very bottom left side of the print dialog box go to the PDF pull down menu and select Save as PDF.

I find that pdf holds the formating better than exporting to .doc.

There is a set of packages called 'office for mac' provided by windows for mac.You can have all the ms-office tools in that.In many ways office for mac is much better than the office given in windows.

You did not say what mac or os you are using, so it makes it a bit harder to nail down the problem. However there are options out there on a tight budget for a student to fit the bill. If you are running 10.4.11 or better you are much better off. OpenOffice is available though you will have to download the X11 binaries to get things working right.

If you want an easier work around there is NeoOffice and LibreOffice. I would recommend the later depending on your mac. With my Dual G4/533, Neo takes a bit of time to load where as Libre is quite usable and responsive. Both are compatible across the board for your needs.

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

~Drake

Two options, buy MS Office for Mac. I did this for a long time and still do when necessary. Option 2 is to try using Google docs to create your assignments and then download them as MS Office files.

M$ Office and Google docs are not the only alternatives. Not even for a Windows system.
I dislike using M$ products on my Mac, and for many years now NeoOffice and OpenOffice have done the job for the office documents for me. They may not be full of GUI candy interfaces, but they do the job, and they are less bloated and less buggy than M$ alternative. Plus they are free.

Back