.bin file, how to get files?

jonmichael23

Registered
I downloaded a file that was in .bin and it has a stuffit expander icon but stuffit cant unzip the files, it says that it doesnt seem to be encoded, and that stuffit may be able to do it, but when I do that and hit try nothing happens. Any program that could open this? Thanks, Jon

What sort of file is it? Where did it come from? Do you know for a fact that it's a Mac file?

Over the years, .bin has been used to stand for many different kinds of "binary" files, so you can't always assume it's a mac binary.

One way to narrow it down: use BBEdit and do a hex dump. Post the first few lines of the hex dump here and maybe someone (even me) might be able to figure out what you have there.

Also: make sure you have the very latest stuffit expander.

Many Windows disk images end in .bin.... mostly CD-ROM images made by "backup" utilties. :) If it's a real Stuffit compressed file, could it be corrupted?

its a image of a program, you need a .cue file to burn it to a cd. I dont know how to do it on a mac though, but I do it all the time on my pc.........legal backups of course ;)

Back