.bin Files

bkaron

Yep, That's Me!
I need to open a .bin file but Stuffit Expander said it can't do it, is there a way to expand the files?

The .bin extension has been used for LOTS of different file types on different platforms over the years. What sort of file is it? Where did you get it?

Bin in this case just means binary. There isn't any compression there and I know with BIOSes, the contents of the file just gets copied verbatim into wherever it's meant to go.

Perhaps you could try getting your emulator to load the file?

Oh I see, it was so obvious! Here is a new one ya’ why cant I uncompress this file (I get the same error message) vcdtoolsX_app.dmg.tar

Am is doing this right? All I do is type "tar xvf " and just drag the file for the desktop, and this is what happens.

Last login: Wed Nov 10 08:43:08 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
[Brandon-Karons-Computer:~] bkaron% tar xvf /Users/bkaron/Desktop/vcdtoolsX_app.dmg.tar
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
[Brandon-Karons-Computer:~] bkaron%

There are two possibilities. It's a) not a tar file or b) it's a compressed tar file.

If it's b, then you need to try 'tar xvzf' (for gzip compression) or 'tar xvjf' (bz2 compression). Hopefully, that should solve your problem.

Here, I did both and nothing:

Last login: Wed Nov 10 08:52:38 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
[Brandon-Karons-Computer:~] bkaron% tar xvzf /Users/bkaron/Desktop/vcdtoolsX_app.dmg.tar

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
[Brandon-Karons-Computer:~] bkaron% tar xvjf /Users/bkaron/Desktop/vcdtoolsX_app.dmg.tar
bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
tar: Child returned status 2
[Brandon-Karons-Computer:~] bkaron%

something is wrong with the tar file. Search for a compressed tar file in google and test it. I am quite sure everything is fine with your stuffit and your tar command.

Back