.bmp pictures not displaying in browsers

chiphead

Registered
In Safari I get a blank placeholder and in IE I get a stupid symbol where the .bmp is supposed to be. If I copy a .bmp from the web it opens a blank placeholder. WTF is up with that? Help

might try trashing the browser's prefs. i don't know any webpages that have .bmp files integrated instead of gifs or jpegs, but loading a single bmp from my webserver in safari works just fine. haven't tried ie.

I could be wrong, but I don't think .bmp is supported _within_ web pages the same way .gif and .jpg are.

It's taken a while for .png to get a foothold in the browser...

octane said:
I could be wrong, but I don't think .bmp is supported _within_ web pages the same way .gif and .jpg are.

It's taken a while for .png to get a foothold in the browser...

You could be wrong, but you aren't. In fact you are completely correct.

.bmp format images are normally very big compared to the same image in other formats such as jpg or selected quality gif. I don't think there should be many reasons for having a picture in .bmp format. Even if just in a blank folder on a server, .jpg (and other formats) can offer the same thing on a lot less download time and traffic.

Giaguara said:
.bmp format images are normally very big compared to the same image in other formats such as jpg or selected quality gif. I don't think there should be many reasons for having a picture in .bmp format. Even if just in a blank folder on a server, .jpg (and other formats) can offer the same thing on a lot less download time and traffic.

I agree 100% I'd never use a .bmp on any web page I'd ever build, but the problem comes in trying to see stuff on Ebay or some other auction, forum or whatever where some idiot just has to use .bmp or dosen't know how to convert. Unfortunately I find myself turning to my PC to look at stuff. Kind of defeats the point of owning a Mac. :(

Well, in Safari you can simply drag the .bmp to the Preview icon in the Dock (will need to launch it first if it doesn't live in the Dock). In Explorer you can change the MIME settings (Preferences > File Helpers) to save .bmp files and open them with Preview (or whatever you care to, Graphic Converter or Photoshop even). You don't have to use your PC at all.

About the only time I've seen .bmp images on the web is for desktop patters and stuff like that...

chiphead said:
Well what a pain in the kiester! This seems like something that should be fixed with an update or something.

Not really, and you might be waiting and _long_ time.

If you want an image in a web page, use a more suitable format.

Just open up your .bmp images and save them out as either .jpg or .gif.

Dead easy!..

I installed Mozilla and it displays BMPs in web pages no problem using the same helper QuickTime Plugin.plugin picture viewer. I reported the bug. It is a bug, why can Mozilla do it but Safari can't with the same options? :confused:

Not really, and you might be waiting and _long_ time.

If you want an image in a web page, use a more suitable format.

Just open up your .bmp images and save them out as either .jpg or .gif.

Dead easy!..
Let me get this right. I'm browsing Ebay and everytime I want to view someones product for sale that used BMPs I have to drag them all out and open them with something else other than a browser that should support viewing them.

Dead Easy???? Dead stupid!!!

Well use Mozilla then. You've solved your own problem.

It's worth reiterating that .bmp is not a web standard image format.

The closest it gets to the web is .wbmp for mobile phones.

It's too big for the web, that's why it's not supported.

Send a link to one of the sites you're having problems with and I'll see what I get...

Back