Booting 9.2.1 with option key

tony

gamelaner
Hi,

My G4 has it's disk partitioned in two partitions,
one for OSX 10.1, and one for 9.2.

I occasionally have a need to boot from the 9.2 partition. I do this by holding down the option key when booting, then choosing the 9.2 root.

When I do this, the OSX 10.1 root appears on the screen almost immediately, followed a few seconds later by the 9.2 root. Then it sits there for quite a long time before it finally lets me choose a root. I assume that it's just looking for more bootable roots, but should it really take that long? Is there anything I can do to speed it up?

Thanks,

-tony

but I think there was another thread about this where a guy found a way to speed it up tons, something like holding "shift" down or some other key combo...that's the best I can offer, since I no longer boot in 9 and so I never tried it.

Originally posted by testuser
I thought that holding down the mouse would eject all media at startup.

Yes the mouse button IS used to eject (non-Optical) media. It works on my Mac for the Zip Drive.

What exactly are you getting at brodie?

I agree also with the selection of a different Startup Disk in System Preferences (OSX). But the larger the drive and more multiple the partitions and slower the rpm, the longer it'll take to look across the entire HD's.

On that note, does anyone know of a free or cheap defragment/optimise software for OSX?

Does this mean its possible to bypass the OS X login/security features by forcing a reboot into OS 9 and accessing secured/admin/user OS X files from the other OS? Or are you forced to restart in OS X from a hardware reset? Not a very good feature if you can bypass this.

Originally posted by testuser
I thought that holding down the mouse would eject all media at startup.
yes it does but its also telling the system not to bother looking for other boots. try it.

Back