Broadband Optimization in 10.2

Szhark

Registered
I'm by no means an expert using the terminal commands, but i was poking around the other day and i was hoping someone can validate what i did.

After looking how the software BroadbandOptimizer worked, i checked to see if jaguar implemented this. When I typed sysctl -a in the terminal, a large list of variables came up.. 4 of which are changed using BroadbandOptimizer. (net.inet.tcp.sendspace, net.inet.tcp.recvspace, net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack, net.inet.udp.recvspace). So instead of installing BroadbandOptimizer, i manually changed those variables to the larger amounts (ie: sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.sendspace=65536). The only one I couldn't change was net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack which is set at 1 and won't change to 0. My connection is MUCH faster now (t1) but i really hope i didn't mess anything up

any comments on this?

Basically you did the same thing Broadband Optimizer does, except you did it via command line whereas BBO does it via GUI!
Why didn't the one parameter change from 1 to 0? Did you get an error message? the use of sudo should allow you to change anything.

;)

What you did only works until you restart, though.

To make it permanent edit your /etc/rc file.

sudo pico /etc/rc (use your favorite text editor in place of pico)

Scroll all the way to the end using the down arrow key. You want to add the lines in red:

SystemStarter ${VerboseFlag}

sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65536
sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.sendspace=65536
sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

exit 0

Back