Brother 8820DN Printer Problem

slane2007

Registered
I'm having problems with a Brother MFC 8820DN printer printing out garbage pages when I send WEB pages, Excel Charts or even .PDF's from Preview to it.

Environment:
My desktop is a Power PC 533 with OS 10.3.9 connected to a home LAN that the printer also resides on. The Printer has firmware version G and NIC is version 1.04. The Printer Descriptions (BR-Script ) file is timestamped March 9, 2003.

Not sure what else to include so ask and I'll post it.

Symptoms:
With some (quite a few) .PDF documents, if I try to print them from Preview, garbage pages come out but if I use Acrobat Reader (7.0.8), they print properly. If I try to print out a web page (Firefox or Safari), many times it will cause the same problem. Sometimes the error is a single page that has 'Syntax Error' on it but many times, the page has a line (or 2) of random characters followed by multiple blank pages.

My workaround has been to first print to .PDF and then use Acrobat to send it to the printer. If I forget, it wastes a lot of paper until I can stop the job / printer and reset things.

It seems to suggest that Acrobat communicates with the printer correctly but that Preview (or the printing subsystem?) has a bug.

Any suggestions / comments / help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Back