browser problems

cwoody222

Registered
OK, I'm having some browser problems since installing Jaguar. Hoping for some help?!

First is easy - Netscape 7 just won't install on my system. I've tried multiple times and it always hangs during the Netscape Network Registration on the first time I start the program. The browser itself never starts up. Anyone else see this?

Second is more difficult to explain. Since installing Jag IE has been having trouble displaying text sometimes. Not all the time, just sometimes. It'll do one of two things.

1) Attached a pic of it. Instead of displaying text it'll display these weird little vertical lines in place of letters. If I mouseover and highlight the text, it turns normal. Sometimes it stays normal, sometimes not.

2) Of course I can't get IE to do #2 when I WANT it to to get a pic of it ;) Basically it's the same as #1 but text is completely GONE. In place of certain words is just blank space - the color of the background of the page shows up. Again, if I highlight, the text comes back. But usually when I stop highlighting, it disappears again.

Anyone know what's causing this?!?

Attachments

• lines.jpg
    lines.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 91
I can tell you that your second problem is an IE issue and not a Jag issue, as I've seen it do the same thing on my 10.1 system on very rare occassions.

I have the same problem in IE. I recently installed Jaguar. Maybe it happened sometimes in 10.1--I don't remember. But it happens all the time in 10.2, especially on my 466 MHz G3 iBook (not as bad on my 500 MHz G3 iMac).

I've never experienced anything like that before, but I am having a different problem with IE under Jaguar that from time to time it doesn't redraw the screen properly. It'll leave blank areas on the webpage in place of pictures and text, then when I resize the page it'll redraw itself properly and fill the blank areas. Also have problems with websites that have streaming Windows Media Player files (.WMV) I have the Player, but it opens it up as text webpage.
No problems at all with Mozilla or Netscape 7, other than there is no plugin for Windows Media files.

I also get the problem that Oscar sees with IE where HUGE sections of pages are just white spaces.

If I highlight sections with the cursor or resize the window, the missing stuff magically appears.

Last night I saw my 'horizontal lines in place of text' problem happen with Mozilla!!! Guess there's no solving this one by simply switching to a different browser :(

I've done a little experimentation with this problem. IE is having a problem with certain types of text on certain sites. Most commercial sites have such complicated HTML source that I can't isolate what the problem could be.

For example, Yahoo's site is very bad--link and body text disappear all over the place. Heading text doesn't disappear. On VersionTracker, only the link text disappears. On this site some link text disappears. Nothing disappears on Apple's site.

I have a site in which table text disappears. The table was designed in MS Word. MS Word added tons of HTML (style sheets, spans, etc.) to an otherwise simple table. Perhaps I will try redoing the table in simple HTML using BBEdit.

I have noticed that all of the disappearing text occurs inside a table cell. However, tables are so ubiquitous that it is hard to find text that is NOT inside a table cell.

I also checked Microsoft's site. No mention of the problem (of course). Their latest IE documentation is the IE 5.1 Read Me. No surprises there.

I have also noticed that bug with IE in Jag. However, I'm not so sure that it is a bug with IE anymore. Over the last few days, I have noticed that my other browsers (Chimera 0.5 and Mozilla 1.0) have been suffering that same problem.

I sure wish I knew of a way to cure this, now spreading, problem.

Back