"Built-In Ethernet" Missing in OS 8.1 on Performa 6360

CaptainValor

Registered
I recently acquired a Performa 6360 off eBay, but it came without documentation or software. It's running OS 8.1, seemingly off an iMac installation disk.

My goal is to get this puppy on the interwebs, but it did not have an ethernet card installed. So I found an Apple 10/100 PCI Ethernet card on eBay and slapped it in. Unfortunately, OS 8.1 doesn't seem to detect the card. "Built-In Ethernet" does not show up in the Control Panel, and TCP/IP doesn't include it as an option. The card lights do come on, though.

Since I don't have an OS 8 disk, I'm unable to reinstall the OS, and I don't even want to mess with trying to find System Enabler 410 to get 7.5.5 running on the system. Going higher isn't an option either, since it doesn't have enough RAM for anything greater than OS 8.1.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :)

Might be a long shot but have you opened the extension manager and checked to see if "Apple ethernet "extension is installed and turned on.Also if you plan on keeping this mac for a while,it would be worth it to find a OS 8.1 install disk as it will save a lot of time troubleshooting.

Might be a long shot but have you opened the extension manager and checked to see if "Apple ethernet "extension is installed and turned on.Also if you plan on keeping this mac for a while,it would be worth it to find a OS 8.1 install disk as it will save a lot of time troubleshooting.

I did check, and the extension is missing. I suspect that's the root of the problem. I might try to track down an 8.1 install disk on eBay.

There's no other way to reinstall that extension, right?

Your best bet would be to find a OS 8.1 retail install disk on EBay. Check the vintage Mac section as well for a install disk specific for your machine.Either one will work and the do come up for sale frequently. A last resort would be a Google search for the extension.Version 2.2 is still available from Apple via download,but I think it is too new for your Performa.

Good Luck

Back