Buying a Mac -- Help!

mpbnl8182

Registered
Hey Everyone,

I'm in need of some help. My PC laptop failed me once, and I'm not going to let it fail me again. It's been all fixed, and it's going to be sold. I currently have an HP laptop (ZT1130) and a B&W upgraded to a G4, pretty much loaded (512 RAM, 40 Gig HDD, SCSI Card -- never used that though, 32 MB Video Card).

Here is what I am thinking. I could

A) Sell just the laptop, put the money away for now, and see how I do without the laptop.

B) Sell both computers, and buy an iBook, eMac, or iMac.

C) Keep both, make the laptop an expensive jukebox for my living room

I'm in school, so I get the (now bigger) Edu discount - I'm leaning towards the eMac if i were to buy one -- Superdrive for 1099... I think that will be fast enough -- I do some image analysis for my lab in OS 9, but the program works in classic mode, and I'll mostly be writing my senior thesis on it -- one reason i'm not trusting the laptop -- the iBook also intrigues me because I can bring it to the lab

Sorry for the long post, any ideas?

MP

Yes the eMac is sweet. The Panther pre-release is smooth as a whistle on it (make sure you get it with a free upgrade to Panther).
The only thing that annoys me with it is that the fan is quite loud. I dont think about it while playing games or listening to music, but when everything else is quiet you notice it. My advice: Go to apple/mac-stor and play around with the iMacs and eMacs and iBooks. Nothing beats the first hand feeling of the thing when it comes to make a choice.

Back