Can I bridge a network with 2 Airport Base Stations?

bookem

danno
I need to bridge a network between 2 rooms. I.m not allowed to use cables outside the rooms. Could I do this with 2 base stations and a hub at either end? I already have 1 base station (no extreme) so providing it will work, will an extreme base station do the job?

Yes, you can use Airport Extreme to do this, although the how is a little foggy.

What I know for sure:
First you have to configure your AEBS to be a remote base station under the WDS tab. You then specify the Airport ID of the base station that you would like to receive signal from (you can browse since remember Hex numbers can be a pain).

What is unclear:
I cannot find anything that says you must have two airport extreme base stations for this to work. Also I cannot find anything that says you must have two airport stations to get this to work (i.e. you could use 1 AEBS and 1 non-apple access point). In theory, you could just add the MAC address of any wireless device and have this work, but I have not attempted this.

If you decide to get the AEBS and try this out, let me know if it works.

bookem said:
I need to bridge a network between 2 rooms. I.m not allowed to use cables outside the rooms. Could I do this with 2 base stations and a hub at either end? I already have 1 base station (no extreme) so providing it will work, will an extreme base station do the job?

You need Airport Extreme to bridge - Airport won't do.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm gonna borrow an APBSExtreme from someone and see if that will work.

While hunting around, I also found the Linksys WET11, which is basically a wireless bridge. From the product description it is basically a wireless card with an ethernet port. They're relatively cheap also, about GBP £50 http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=602&scid=36 Think I'll get one of these asnyway as it's 1/3rd the cost of a Base Station and would be quite handy to have.

Back