Can iTunes Library import be automated to auto import new files add to extrnal drive?

bluemomentbass

Registered
I have just bought my first Mac and finding iTunes limiting. I am running a Windows XP desktop, laptop and OSX 10.5 MacPro laptop. I then have a Western Digital World Book 500GB NAS with a share holding all my music so that it is centralized.

I have setup iTunes so that it's default library is the WD NAS Share "Music" and deselected the option to copy to local library. The Mac is my wife's computer so I will not be adding new music through its iTunes, but from my XP Desktop to the drive mapping "MUSIC" (simple cut and paste). My frustration is that I can manually import (using iTunes) the contents from "MUSIC", but any new songs I add to the share "MUSIC" from outside of iTunes will not be recognized/added in the iTunes library without doing another manual import of the new file/folder.

I have seen a post for sync'ing two iTunes libraries, which may or may not be possible to sync'd Mac iTunes with Windows iTunes through shares, but I really prefer not to go this route and currently using iTunes only on the Mac.

Is there a script or plug-in for Leopard or iTunes that will monitor for changes on the ntwork share then add the new songs to iTunes's libary automatically? Maybe I am thinking to far outside of the box? By the way I do work in the IT field so I am willing to do some more "duct-taping" to make this work :eek:

Well, for starters, you can't just drag 'n drop songs into iTunes Library (if that is where you are dragging to -- if you are dragging to the app, or the icon on the dock, then that is another story). They need to be "imported" to be able to be used. Just like iPhoto -- can't just drag into the library, need to be imported.

Back