Can speechtechnology be an alternative?

tagliatelle

I have 1550 post counts now. Do softwarefirms as IBM, Philips or Dictaphone has a future with their speechtechnology? I have written my own text to speechapplication! Does it makes sense? Reply only if you can add value, in the other case don't reply.

I think we would all like to try out your Speech-to-Text app, Herve'.

If that what you have been using this entire time, I think it would be quite hilarious.

Anyhoo, I do think speech software has a future, but the technology definately has to get better before it takes off.

If you're referring to speech as user input... I think it has some limited usage, especially to the disabled. However, most people have the preconception that the next big step in UI will end up being voice recognition for everything.

The problem is that voice input is inherently much slower, and far less accurate. The gains it offers are usually only in dictation, and often a good typist can obliterate any time savings there. For application usage, there would need to be some excessive advances in speech recognition in order to offer any competition for the precision and speed that normal keyboard and mouse input already delivers.

The real places where voice input can shine is applications where a keyboard and mouse input is inconvenient-- PDA and smartphone type products. The problem here is portability, and it's hard to get efficient and low power performance to portables that's sufficient to do the work that analyzing voice requires. Specific chips dedicated to voice recognition might solve some of these problems, but this doesn't seem like a very elegant solution.

I think, ultimately, that the biggest area for research and development lies with solving UI problems for portable devices. These kinds of technologies can carry over into the desktop world and ultimately offer the biggest progressions in using computers. UI paradigms only come along so often...

Speakable Items (plaintalk) was/is mostly a novelty... the problem is that your roommates screaming commands at your computer to shut down are only funny the first time... if even...

Except for the disabled or people who can have a very private environment... and even then the commands are a little clunky to work with.
-stephen

I've heard IBM's via voice is pretty good once you teach it to get acustomed to your voice (inflections, accent, etc...). I've never knowingly used it. But I've called AT&T to cancel my long distance service and request to speak to a customer representative, and I always get to talk to a computer in plain old every day English like I talk to my friends, and AT&T's computer seems to get it right every time. I wonder how much it costs. Herve, your little speech recognition project was probably good for you for pedagogical experience. I think IBM probably has a leg up on you.

Back