Cannot delete certain files

Jenkinh

Registered
For some reason recently I'm unable to download some files in my downloads folder. I get the error, "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items."

I have repaired my permissions and even run Disk Warrior. I'm using the admin account as my main user. When I get info on one of the problem files or folders there are three users listed: system, (unknown) and everyone. The unknown user seems odd to me and I don't recall it being there before.

Furthermore, in the Finder preferences "Empty Trash Securely" is unchecked yet when I delete files I am prompted with the notice that they will be removed immediately. This happens with files that I can delete, and with those that I cannot.

I'm running OS X 10.5.2. 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 24" White iMac with 2GB of ram.

Have you tried renaming the downloads directory to something different temporally and creating a new one? If not try that. That has worked for me before under similar circumstances.

Thanks for the response. I was able to fix my issue by deleting and recreating the trash via terminal. I found a website that had instructions on how to do so. Apparently I didn't have the correct permissions on my trash folder and that's what caused the problem.

Great. Hey, for future reference can you provide me with that website containing that fix? I am looking for the "permissions" controls for the trash bin and I can't find it.

I'm running OS X 10.3.9 on a Power Macintosh G3 Series PowerPC 750 (2.2)

Last edited:
Back