can't burn DVD's with Toast 6 on Tiger 10.4

toothy

Registered
I've been trying to burn backups of my DVD's and for some reason it never works as it should. I've had only 1 or 2 work out of itleast 12. I'm using TDK blanks, I have a firewire Plextor external DVD-+RW Drive (brand new) and a 15 powerbook. I first put in a Disc and use Mac the Ripper to decrypt it. I then use DVD2oneX to shrink it to about 4 gb. As stated in the manual for DVD2oneX, it says to take the Audio_TS and Video_TS folders and drag them into a window in Toast 6 with the DVD UOP mode selected. I do that, rename it to a compatiable DVD naming structure (all caps), and to be safe I even select the slowest burning method.

All of the data is on my USB External drive and the burner is an external firewire drive. Most of the time I get the error "buffer underrun error" "the data cannot be sent fast enough to keep up with the recording speed". Well I selected the slowest speed!! I've been burning discs for years and on much slower equipment, and now it can't keep up?? It keeps up with CD's and then occasionally will keep up with a DVD. I then go back into Toast to find that the checkbox to select "prevent buffer underrun" is always grayed out and won't let you select it.

I've noticed some other people with the same problems and was curious to find out if anyone has figured out a simple way to successfully burn a DVD. I'm fine even using the OSX burn utility if it works.

help

toothy

Back