can't change screen

cathyr

Registered
I have a new macbook which has worked fine for the 2 days I have used it however while I was exploring the folders that were preinstaled I clicked on something- I think maybe iworks?- Anyway, now my screen just shows an apple logo and I can't get to anything else. I have tried to turnthe computer off but when I turn it back on the apple logo is still there. Can anyone help?

First of all, the Apple logo comes up while the system is initialising. If the Macbook has shut down improperly or lost power, it will check the disk while this Apple screen is displayed, which means you might have the Apple logo on screen for about 5 minutes (lesson: try and avoid improper shutdowns). So, make sure you give it plenty of time to come up - after a normal shutdown it will start in around 20 seconds.

You can actually inspect this startup process by holding "S" while turning the power on. Kepp "S" held down until you see MacOSX launch into single user mode. You'll get text feedback on screen detailing what the system is doing.

The other reason you might get stuck on this screen is if some vital system files have been deleted or moved - not easy to do. You *should* have a copy of Mac OS X on CD/DVD that came with your Macbook, or you might have bought a newer version since. Load this disc into the drive, and power on while holding the "C" key. This boots from the CD drive. You can then do an "Archive and install" which will back up all your old system files before reinstalling the system.

Back