cant install mac OS9 on M5521 imac

imaciam

Registered
WRONG FORUM sorry , maybe someone could move for me ?

hi there,

I am trying to install 9.2 on a imac M5521, and it wont recognize the harddrive at all , mo matter what I try to do.

I am a complete noob to macos and while Ive tried the various disk utils on the disk ( it wont boot from hardrive so I just used the os 9 cdrom: friend gave to me not wanting to deal with it, lucky me ) and no luck. Only thing I can find is reference in ondisk docs to go into 'functions' menu and do a low level format of HD, but the HD doens't even show up in installer as its a blank field .

Any idea what could be wrong ?

Thanks anyone.
imaciam

Last edited:
Moved :)
What color is that install disc? Does it list the Mac model in it?
How much RAM do you have?

Moved :)
What color is that install disc? Does it list the Mac model in it?
How much RAM do you have?

White disk, but I am sure its a M5521 and it has 64MB of ram.

I suspect a bad HD as it only boots to OS9 once I insert the OS9 cdrom.

thx
imac

We could rule out the bad disk by trying to install something else there.
Try with some plain version of Linux that would allow install on a PPC and with that amount of RAM and hard drive space. If the Linux installer can see the disk then we should see it for OS 9 too.

We could rule out the bad disk by trying to install something else there.
Try with some plain version of Linux that would allow install on a PPC and with that amount of RAM and hard drive space. If the Linux installer can see the disk then we should see it for OS 9 too.

IaM sorry for inconvenience of this thread, but as I feared it was indeed a bad harddrive, as I took off back of unit to get to it,replaced rebooted and voila instant fix ;)

thanks for replying to assist.
imacIam

Back