Can't log in - Very scared...

master_debator

Registered
I think I really fudged up big time. Ok here goes:

The other day a password was put on my dads 10.4.11 version and I needed to take the password off. I got that done by command + s and then did passwd username and changed the password. Then when I logged in I removed teh password. WHen I restarted teh pc, I couldn't access my dads account. Now when I try to login to the computer, I get the original setup screen that you get when you first start the mac. When I boot into single user mode, I see something along the lines of "probe booting in single user...do not match". The thing is, I can still see all of the directories/files via terminal. The comp when started says that it can't find an os. I NEED to fix this. There are some files on there that I CANNOT lose. Any info pleaes.

thanks

Find your Mac OS X setup CD and boot from that by holding the "C" key while powering on. In this setup disc is a password reset utility (once the first installer screen loads, you will be able to get it from the menus at the top of the screen). Try resetting the password from there.

If all else fails, you can do an "Archive and Install" which will preserve all of the files already on the machine. Or, if you have access to another Mac, use "Firewire Target Disck Mode" to access the drive of your borked system and bring the files over.

And in future:
- If something is important back it up. If something is really important, back it up twice!
- There is no reason at all why you should need to change passwords in the Terminal, or indeed access the terminal at all.

I'm wondering if its possible to do these as an option to back up the files:
1) Use a Linux OS live boot cd/dvd on the OS X machine. Once its booted up in Linux, is it possible to access the Mac drive and then either a) Burn the files to a dvd or b) transfer the files via a flash drive

2) Use macdrive to access the files on the mac drive via my win xp machine?

3) Also, is it possible that there is some kind of settings that I can activate in the Terminal on the OS X to load up the operating system?

Find your Mac OS X setup CD and boot from that by holding the "C" key while powering on. In this setup disc is a password reset utility (once the first installer screen loads, you will be able to get it from the menus at the top of the screen). Try resetting the password from there.

If all else fails, you can do an "Archive and Install" which will preserve all of the files already on the machine. Or, if you have access to another Mac, use "Firewire Target Disck Mode" to access the drive of your borked system and bring the files over.

And in future:
- If something is important back it up. If something is really important, back it up twice!
- There is no reason at all why you should need to change passwords in the Terminal, or indeed access the terminal at all.

Back