Can't reinstall 10.4 ?? Hard drive doesn't appear viable (no green arrow)

djbeta

Registered
Hi there,

I re-initialized a hard drive on an iMac G5 using the system CD that came with the machine.

After re-initializing the hard drive, I tried to re-install 10.4, and the hard drive doesn't appear capable of taking the OS. It looks like regular silver hard drive in the installer window, but is missing the downward green arrow indicating that it is capable of taking the installation.

It doesn't have any indicator to say that it CAN'T take the installation, however.

These *are* the DVDs that came with the machine.

Any idea what's going on or how I can fix this ?

Should I try to get my hands on a boxed version of 10.4 installer DVD?

fyi-- the reason for the re-initialization is that the previous user installed lots of 3rd party apps that botched the system up quite a bit.. is it possible he installed anything weird that could be causing this ?

thanks
beta :)

When reinitializing the drive, what format did you use?
The DVDs that came with your Mac should work just fine.

What Volume Format did you choose?
"MacOS Extended (Journaled)" is the default, I believe.

Did you click on the hard drive (even though it did not have a green arrow) to tell the installer app that it is the drive you'd like to install on?

Hi there,

I re-initialized a hard drive on an iMac G5 using the system CD that came with the machine.

Did you start your computer from the harddrive or from cd/dvd. In order to reformat the boot drive, you need to start from the cd/dvd, not the harddrive.

Good luck, Kees

It worked after a reboot..
duh.. i should have tried that before bothering anyone,
but it's weird that it didn't work before a shutdown & startup
it is mac extended journaled...

Back