Chimera vs. Safari

Now that you've had some time to try both browsers, which one do you prefer:

• Chimera

• Safari

Results are only viewable after voting.

pwharff

Registered
Now that I have had some time to play with Safari AND since I have been using Chimera for some time now, I have a better understanding of what browser I prefer. My choice is Chimera for now. Here are some quick reasons:

1) Tabbed browsing is such a great innovation and saves me time and confussion.
2) Speed isn't that much different from Chimera to Safari, in fact I can't tell the difference for the most part (DSL 1.5MBps).
3) Better bookmark manager with Chimera, Safari has many more problems with it's bookmark manager. Remember their both beta's!
4) Compatibilty as far as I can tell is better with Chimera or at least the sites I visit.

So make your vote, Chimera or Safari.

Also, I would hope that you've actually used both browsers before you would vote!

Give me tabs in Safari, and I'll start singing Beach Boy songs.....until then, Chimera is my choice.

Originally posted by Vard
Give me tabs in Safari, and I'll start singing Beach Boy songs.....until then, Chimera is my choice.

...I second that also. Give me tabs in Safari and I'm converted.

I'm sure that Apple will swith out of betta, but for now Safari is capable of all my needs. but I can't attach files on yahoo mail, so thats why I keep Chimera!

So to sum all of this up, SAFAI

Chimera, for tabs and one other reason.
I often keep browsers in the background, and I'd love to give commands from there...ctrl-click Chimera's icon and see the toolbar favorites selectable...I like that feature.

If Safari won't get tabs, at least give me the OmniWeb solution, to open links in background...

I choose SAFARI. A few reasons.

First the google search this thing is great! I use google about 5/10 times a day and filling it in straight in the UI of the browser beats having to go to the search site first.
Secondly I find the bookmarks a big improvement over Chimera... not sure why Chimera's bookmarks appear better to some but for me the optional renaming is great, I hate having to manually change the name of a bookmark.
Oh and I don't care that much for the snap back feature. (?) Even though it would save time, maybe I need to get used to it being there.

But the tabs are a MAYOR disadvantage to Safari.

The Google search would be even great if you could press Command when hitting Enter in the Google field and have the search to open in a new window.

In fact, to search in Google, you still have to open a window, type your search and press Enter. In Chimera, you click Search, you type your serach and click Enter. Very much the same to me :)

I've just enabled this trick that opens a request popup for Google when you click on Search. Damn ! As fast as the Safari toolbar.

Safari is a damn good browser for an early beta, but it doesn't interact with sites I frequent very well, plus no tabs which are pretty much essential now that I've gotton a hang of them.

anybody had experience with Safari not showing the latest version of flashsites? I updated a site, but I still saw the old version, took me a littlew while to figure out, it was Safari, cause explorer did show the latest one...

Did I miss something in prefs?

Also, if you open a link in a new window (right-mouse click) and close that window, you cannot see which link has been openened already... ;(

I was torn, but ended up voting for Chimera. Tabs rule, and Safari can't handle my on-line banking site yet.
But Safari is definitely faster, and I have "sweetened" it by using some of the 3rd-party enhancements like Safari Enhancer, Safaricon and PithHelmet. Oh yeah, and the bookmarks manager Bookit now handles Safari bookmarks!
My browser usage is close to 50-50 between the two now. Poor ol' Mozilla and OmniWeb are gathering cobwebs. ;)

Back