Civilization 2 with OS X

gollum84

goonies never say die
The only game in the Civilization series that I really enjoy is the second one and I used to play it all the time on my iMac running OS 9. It ran perfectly on the iMac, but since I installed it on my PowerMac G4, it unexpectedly quits at random spots during game play. My only solution so far is to save the game every 5 minutes or so and hope for the best, but I'm getting sick of doing that all the time. I play the game in the Classic environment and my current operating system is 10.2.8. Are there any quick fixes I can do in order to get the game to work properly?

Yeah, that was a fun game. The memories... staying up until two in the morning with my sister or until my dad came down and yelled at us. Good stuff. Well I don't know of any fixes, but honestly I'm not that educated in Classic. Does it the game run the same way when you boot from OS 9?

I'm not sure if I can boot from OS 9. I have gone to the system preferences and to the start up disk but all I am able to click on is "Mac OS X, 10.2.8 on Macintosh HD" or "Network Startup". I don't think my computer can do a dual boot. It sounds stupid and I don't know why but my G4 can't do it for some reason. My computer is a 1 GHz Power Mac G4 (FW 800). On my iMac I could choose whatever startup disk I wanted, be it a Zip disc or CD, but this G4 I have only lets me boot in OS X.

The newer G4's will not boot in OS 9. But you have Classic just for those oldie but goodie programs.

It could be a memory thing. With classic started, go to the main icon on your hard drive of the game. Click once on it, then go to the file menu>Get Info. Under memory see if you can change the preferred memory.

It has been a while since I used Classic, so I am not sure if you can change the memory settings.

Clan MacGaming had Civ II as only partially compatible with OSX: I could never get it to run and I had to move on to Civ III, which is no subsitute. So if you can't boot into OS9 looks like it'll have to remain a fond memory.

I miss Settlers, too!

I bought Civilization 3 last year and I hate it. I guess I'll just have to play it on my iMac instead of using my G4.

Back