Classic in 10.1

voice-

Registered
There are no localized Classic-spesific resources availible on system folder Macintosh HD.

Sound familliar? Found a solution? What is it? I know OS9 is there, it's even on the same partition...what's wrong?

I see that your imac is running 10.1 and 9.1 according to your post signature.
If that is the case, then yes, OSX will not see OS9 for classic mode. As far as I know, you have to have OS 9.2 to run classic in 10.1.

If this is not the case, then you might have to bless your system folder.
Open the folder in OSX and OS9. Then try to run Classic in OSX again. Do not know if this will work or not. If the first paragraph is not true then I'm just grasping at straws. You might have to re-install OS 9.2.

Good Luck,:)
SA

Yeah, this was my iMac.
What do you mean "open the system folder in OSX and OS9"?
Do you mean I should have them both open at the desktop, should I transfer any files between them? Or do you mean I should reboot into OS9?
I don't get it

I was talking about "blessing" the system folder.

But that is neither here nor there if you are running OS9.1 alongside OSX. You need to upgrade OS 9.1 to OS 9.2 otherwise you will never get classic to run in OSX 10.1. OSX 10.1 requires OS 9.2 minimum for Classic to work. That is the problem here I think.:)

Good Luck,
SA

The minimum requirements for Classic is that you just should have OS 9.1 or higher as your Classic system folder.

By "blessing", it means booting into OS 9, taking the system and finder file out of the system folder, and putting them back in. Then you can boot back into OS X, and it should be recognized.

I would bet, though, that just a simple update to 9.2 would fix the problem, as it probably updates some of the resources and would rebless the system folder in doing so.

any reason, other than some incompatibilities in toast, that you wouldn't want to upgrade to 9.2 ? I installed 9.2 before 10.1 and saw speed increases in 10.0.4 right away. just because of the increased compatibility i assume. Toast is the only major program i know that develops bugs in 9.2 with some older burners. Everything else seems to get better. Any other opinions on this?

but to go back to your question, are you really asking if there is supposed to an easy way to get to the old extensions & control panels,etc. - in short the 9x apple menu? or are you saying you go to launch a classic app and it can't find classic? The only way i know to get to 9x apple menu is run a classic app. If there is an easier way, i too would like to find it. It would be nice if ASM would id both finders so you could just switch back and forth. If you are not getting classic when you launch an app, this is a bigger problem and you might want to start by running an uptodate disk repair program if you are like me and don't know terminal. otherwise maybe the geniuses here will help you work it out. You do have a 'system folder' icon filled with all the goodies in your HD finder window, right?

No, the minimum requirements for Classic in OSX 10.1 ARE OS 9.2. 9.1 used to be the minimum requirement and that is why OS 9.2.1 full install is shipped with the OSX 10.1 update CD's. Classic in OS X 10.1 will not recognize OS 9.1 and that is why 9.2 is needed.

Apple says a minimum of OS 9.1 only because that is the min. required for OS X up to 10.0.4. I also could not get 10.1 to recognize 9.1 for classic until I read the upgrade directions that say you need the full 9.2.1 install to get Classic to work for 10.1. It is in the upgrade manual.

SA

Whoops my bad. It does say that 9.1 is the minimum, but if you have an earlier version to use the 9.2.1 full install CD along with the OSX 10.1 CD.

I would still upgrade to 9.2.1 just for the performance issues alone. I had to because my 10.1 install did the same as yours.

SA

Back