classic without installing 9.2.2 ?

rezba

simpleutilisateurpuissant
I've just bought a new iBook, and decided to install only X in, because OS9 in useless for me in this machine. So I only installed a 10.1.4., with the Install OSX CD.
But there was a folder at the top called "System Folder", with these files in :

Finder, version 9.2.2(iS)
ImageBoot 9.2.2
Mac OS ROM
System

and two empty folders (Apple Menu Items, Control Panels).

I went to the Classic preference panel, have chosen my volume to enable classic, selected it and launched classic, I was ask to let some resources being put in. That's what I did.
And now, I have quite a full 9.2.2 system Folder, with the Classic Support app., the following documents : Classic file, Classic Support UI, System Resources, and traditional folders such as Appearance, Application Support, Extensions, Preferences, Scripting additions, and, at least, a Application Classic called "('.

What does it mean ? That you can't have a true OSX system, without any Classic resources in ?

no answer ?
I mean, isn't it strange ?
But in other hand, it's quite convenient. Classic isn't stable at all, specially when you install a 9.2.2. with the install CD. Because the install is made in order to boot with it sometimes. In this case, Classic is full of those resources you just don't need when you run it as a non-carbonized apps support.
In this way to have a classic to run, your 9.2.2. is light as well. No video our sound manager, no network resources, just skin and bones.
Classic is more stable, less crashes.

Ho, just remember something : soon after I did this install, I made the 10.1.5. upgrade. May be it's why I found these "classic" elements. Is it a feature of 10.1.5., installing a "Classic embryo" in case of ?

the files you mentioned are installed on every new mac. they represent a user interface to do a system restore from the Apple Software Restore cd's. It isn't a Mac OS; just a fake OS interface with Boot ROM.

Back