Connecting via SMB over VPN 5000

opers13

Registered
Connecting via SMB over VPN on the Mac works sometimes, but not others. We are using both the latest Cisco client (5.2.3) and Mac OS (10.2.4).

We do know that it affects the Cisco VPNs as well as the Nortel VPNs, yet both are configured to allow all traffic. we also looked that the firewall config, but that too is set to allow SMB traffic.

just wanted to let you know that SMB works great in house...but not remotely. I think there are limitations with the Cisco client (VPN 5000)

Try turning file sharing off and then on again after you have connected (I am hoping that this will restart samba which is what you really want to do). There are a couple of log files you can look at in /var/log/samba I think they are log.smbd and log.nmbd which may give you some info on the specific problem you are having.

I think that the real problem is that you are moving from one workgroup to another and the local master info is getting screwed up. The cisco client does not do anything I know of to reset any systems like samba when moving in and out of the vpn networked mode.

-Eric

Back