Conneting via airport to network w/ WEP

mfsri

Registered
Hi, I'm watching my friends house for a month and he has a 802.11b network setup. Insted of using his computer I like to use my iBook to connect. He has WEP enabled and gave me the passphrase to use to enable me to connect. I tried using the passphrase and I can not get on the network. I think panter wants a long number to connect. Is there a way to use this passphrase to connect? If not, how can I convert the passphrase to numbers?

Thanks,

Enter $ just before the passphrase.

I just did that earlier. :)

Wait, is it a regular text passphrase? Or is it a bunch of jumbled charecters (alpha text)? If it's the later that will work, if it's the earlier I couldn't get that to work.

I had no problems using a hex code (128Bit)
I am sorry if this is not new to you, but I will post it anyway:
1. turn on your airport
2. Create Network
3. Show options
4. enable encryption (using WEP)
5. (in my case HEX-code) 26 letters for 128Bit

Hex-code has a-f letters (and I think 0-255 numbers, but I don't have any numbers in my code)
For example: abcdeffedcba....

The passphrase he gave me to connect is a common text phrase. Not numbers and text. Can I use the text passphrase he gave me to get on? or is there a way to convert it to the alpha/text key?

Zammy-Sam said:
I had no problems using a hex code (128Bit)
I am sorry if this is not new to you, but I will post it anyway:
1. turn on your airport
2. Create Network
3. Show options
4. enable encryption (using WEP)
5. (in my case HEX-code) 26 letters for 128Bit

Hex-code has a-f letters (and I think 0-255 numbers, but I don't have any numbers in my code)
For example: abcdeffedcba....

I'm sorry you did not read the post correctly. I did not want to create a network. I wanted to get on an existing one that has WEP enabled.

mfsri, my post was supposed to tell you how to use the existing network and not to create one. You just have to create a local network to have access to the encrypted router. did you try the way I described and simply paste the text phrase you got from your friend in that empty field? Btw, how many signs does it have?

Zammy-Sam said:
mfsri, my post was supposed to tell you how to use the existing network and not to create one. You just have to create a local network to have access to the encrypted router. did you try the way I described and simply paste the text phrase you got from your friend in that empty field? Btw, how many signs does it have?

Zammy-Sam, I'm confused by your post. If I do what you suggest then my airport icon in the menu bar changes to a small computer insted of a signal meter. I still can not get on his linksys router.

make sure you type the network name into the field Name and not your machines name.
Basically you need two data from your friend: name of the network and the WEP key. Adding those data the way I described will allow you to access it.
Btw, also ask your friend how he encrypted his wireless lan. 128Bit? Hex-code? Maybe he is even using VPN (Virtual Private Network)?!?

Back