Control Access through server

Stresspuppy

Registered
I have a Mac OS X Server setup in my house as a firewall/gateway. I want to be able to control the access of the kids so they can't get out at certain times of the day, etc. based on IP or MAC address. Is there a tool that gives an easy way to do this?

I think the parental controls of Leopard on the client can perform this.
E.g. no access to internetl between 7 PM and 7 AM.

I have a mix of Macs and PCs in the house. The kids are on PCs and I'd like to control and monitor at the gateway level so I only have to set it in one place, not on several machines. Also, the kids have school notebooks they bring home which I can't set such things on.

I have a mix of Macs and PCs in the house. The kids are on PCs and I'd like to control and monitor at the gateway level so I only have to set it in one place, not on several machines. Also, the kids have school notebooks they bring home which I can't set such things on.

So how do you know which computer is which, as for mac address and/or ip is not failsafe. The only way to do it properly is user based i guess.

Good luck, kees

You could use a proxy server like Squid for that. You might have to do a bit of reading up on how to configure it, but it sounds do-able.
Configure the proxy server as a transparent proxy, point the gateway option on your DHCP server to the proxy server, and you won't need to set the proxy settings on their computers :)

Back