Convert Que!Drive case to Hard Drive?

oddball

Registered
Hi all,

I've got an external Que!Drive Firewire case that formerly housed a 24x Plextor burner.
The burner is dead, but the case & interface are still working. I can't seem to get my iMac
(500 MHz Dalmation) to recognize a Western Digital 7200 RPM, 80GB IDE Hard Drive,
installed in this case.

What am I missing? Any help appreciated!!!

Thanks- oddball

Did you set the jumpers before connecting the drive?
When taken out of your mac they're set as master, which means that the computer hardware treats it as the main drive. You can't have two masters.
On WD's site I found this:
10_pin_jumper.gif

your drive may be different, be careful:eek: , but if you feel confident just move the jumper from the 5-6 connection (master) to the 3-4 pins (slave), and hopefully all should be fine:cool: .

Good luck!

Thanks sdmelis,

Jumper settings for external Firewire drives should be set to "Master", since the Firewire bus is different from the internal IDE bus. I've tried all the jumper settings available, starting with Master. No luck...

After probing around the Web, I've read nothing about being able to use an IDE hard drive in an ATAPI CD/CD-RW case. I guess it's a different chipset, and that REALLY ****s!!!
I was really looking forward to being able to plug in this new 80 GB IDE drive, and simply format it HFS+ and fly with it!

Running OS 9.1, I tried several utils to mount/recognize the drive. Apple's tools don't even see it.
Norton and APS Tools see an item on the bus, but don't know what to do with it, or what it is. Norton says it's a damaged device, (standard Norton reply when it's clueless).

Well, I'm clueless too, and I just hope I didn't damage the drive by trying it in this case...
Anybody else got a clue that would get it to work? the case is from QUE, Model# QPCDRW241040FEM
(salvaged from a dead (unfortunately!) Plextor burner).

I was and still am able to use an old 6GB Quantum IDE Drive in my external LaCie Firewire case... it holds an 8x burner usually :D

No problems, ever...

I'm sorry to hear you have some...

CiAo

hi iscaro,

I guessing it must be the chipset that the QUE interface uses, that is not letting the hard drive show up. I took the unit over to a friends house and tried it on his TiBook, running the latest X & 9.2.2. Nothing would see the hard drive, but a CD-RW (HP) worked just fine...

This really sux that I have a good external housing, a good HD, and can't get the QUE interface to work. Sounds like something Microsloth would do!

I'm determined to get this working somehow. ...maybe steampipes or something...
I'll post when I find a clue!

l8r

Back