‘Copy-proof’ CDs not copy proof.

haha hell ya, npr rocks...

and with the right audio equipment (marantz SR-14ex and paradigm mon 11s for example) i can DEFINITELY tell the difference... it depends on the equipment delivering the sound to your ears as much as it depends on the ears... and you can still tell the difference between an actual cd and 320, if you know what to listen to apparently...

I have sound sticks that play mp3's off of my g4 cube and I have quite a range of MP3's (64 to 320 kbps) and I most certainly can hear a difference between large gaps (smaller ones more sketchy) but I wanted to know what exactly bit rate was in terms of the music, what does it actually do to the sound when you rip at a lower bit rate?

I'm hoping this doesn't become a bigger trend in the music industry...it will be a sad day when I gotta lug around a case full of CD's because I can't put songs on my powerbook or a device like an iPod

Yeah, you don't want to go there. My roommate is trying to convert her tapes to CD (she has about 400 tapes). It's a long, slow process, and not very good quality-wise.

The reason she's doing it is partially to avoid the replacement cost, but also because a lot of tapes she has aren't available on CD at all.

Can't someone just come up with a clever way to make your computer try to read the inner part of the disc (audio) first, before looking for data? The whole protection scheme counts on your computer trying to read the outside first and getting all confused.

Could it really be that simple?

That may be possible with different CD-reader hardware, but I don't think it'd be standard, so in the long run just as bad as the copy protected audio discs.

Isn't it true that audio tape music is cheaper than CD music? If so, then couldn't you just buy tapes and download high quality MP3 versions of the tape's songs online? Would that be legal? Interesting thought...

Back