Corrupted OSX 10.2.8??? How to rebuild

inigo45

Registered
Hallo,
My PC Win98SE/Mac Powerbook G3 (OS9.2 and 10.2.8)-System connected via router runs smooth for a while. The following is for 10.2.8. The G3 occasionally does not wake up from sleep modus. So I have to remove the plug and start in OS9.2, change startvolume to 10.2.8 and restart. Very occasionally I have to use first disk aid to get the system working again. Well, till now! The system can be started as described above but it does not connect to the internet (in OS9.2 it does!). The icons in first disk aid (OS9.2) say OS 9.2 then OSX 10.2.8 (Files in use) and CD. I did not recognise that the "file in use"-term was ever there. I tried to remove the personal preferences (corrupted preference file) to no avail. It is also not possible to connect to my Win PC via SMB, which flawlessly worked before. Firefox 2.0 cannot be started up, which also worked before. The ASP said in the Konsole crash log the lot. The network and sharing tab can not be opened in system preferences (it says it is loading for ages).

The console says:

SystemUIServer[390] ICNInitialize failed: +536870212
SystemUIServer[390] failed to lo9ad Menu Extra: NSBundle </System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Battery.menu> (not yet loaded)
localhost WindowServer[234]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection oxd81b for over 1.000000 seconds

localhost /sbin/autodiskmount[251]: disk1 cddafs no no Audio CD [not mounted]

localhost /sbin/autodiskmount[251]: disk1 cddafs no no Audio CD /Volumes/Audio CD

CFLog (0): CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary.
CFLog (0): CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): The file name for this data might be (or it might not): file://localhost/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin

kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext loaded successfully
mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr=no route to host
mount_smbfs: could not login to server 192.168.0.2: syserr=no route to host

localhost WindowServer[234]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection oxd81b for over 1.000000 seconds

GetHFSvols_list: error 22 requesting attribute info for '/.vol/754974721/2'.

It is just a part, I have to write it! Other part is mostly regarding firefox.

Any ideas.

Juergen

I transfered the log file via OS 9.2:

Here is the log file what the console says:

Mac OS X Version 10.2.8 (Build 6R73)
2007-09-04 14:51:47.024 SystemUIServer[390] ICNInitialize failed: -536870212
2007-09-04 14:51:49.842 SystemUIServer[390] failed to load Menu Extra: NSBundle </System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Battery.menu> (not yet loaded)
Sep 4 14:51:50 localhost WindowServer[234]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection 0x6603 for over 1.000000 seconds

Sep 4 14:51:53 localhost /sbin/autodiskmount[251]: disk1 cddafs no no Audio CD [not mounted]

Sep 4 14:51:57 localhost /sbin/autodiskmount[251]: disk1 cddafs no no Audio CD /Volumes/Audio CD

2007-09-04 14:52:09.358 pbs[384] CFLog (0): CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary.
2007-09-04 14:52:09.373 pbs[384] CFLog (0): CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): The file name for this data might be (or it might not): file://localhost/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin

Sep 4 14:54:31 localhost crashdump: Crash report written to: /Users/jimraket/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/firefox-bin.crash.log

/Applications/Firefox1.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin: can't map file: /Applications/Firefox1.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins/Default Plugin.plugin ((os/kern) invalid argument)
*** loading the extensions datasource
Cutting log (size: 113764, max: 100000)Sep 4 14:54:33 localhost crashdump: Crash report written to: /Users/jimraket/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/firefox-bin.crash.log

*** loading the extensions datasource
kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext loaded successfully
mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = No route to host
mount_smbfs: could not login to server 192.168.0.2: syserr = No route to host
Sep 4 15:05:06 localhost WindowServer[234]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection 0xd81b for over 1.000000 seconds

Sep 4 15:05:31 localhost WindowServer[234]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection 0xd81b for over 1.000000 seconds

Sep 4 15:06:26 localhost last message repeated 2 times

Hi Jurgen,

Any luck in safe boot?

Boot in single user

/sbin/fsck -y

[more if that doesn't look familiar. Since it is 10.2, it will be fsck -y, not -f or -fy]

Also check if Disk Utility or what ever it was called in in 10.2 manages to repair anything. If Safe boot, fsck, and Disk Utility's repair permissions and repair disk don't give resuls, I'd save all the files somewhere on a backup and wipe it with a clean 10.2 install.

@Giaguara

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried them all (but a new install) to no avail. So I searched in the system and perhaps the BSD.pkg is some files missing (it will never ever find a server and some proggies are shuting down immediately after start up). Eg. Firefox 1.0 starts up (with no connection of course) but Firefox 2.0, Safari. Sherlock, etc shut down immediately, which all worked flawless before. So, I'll install this package by Pacifist the next days and try if this helps.
Cheers
Juergen

@all

Inbetween I found that I can open the network pane in SystemPreferences by clicking it (it won't open) then "show all (panes)" and clicking it again. Now it is open and every entry (regardless of DHCP, manual, etc.) in the network pane is 255.255.255.255!!!!! So, Apple lists a document about OSX 10.1.5 in which network failure with IP 255.255.255.255 is described, but I have 10.2.8 installed. Actually I reinstalled BSD Subsystem and localizables and subsequent updated with the combo update to 10.2.8 to no avail. Then I decided to do an "archive & install" but the Installationproggy told me that this is not possible as a newer version is already installed. I do not want to do a clean install, the installed proggies would be lost. Any ideas.
Regards,
Juergen

@Giaguara
Indeed, I have just bought it. Now I have at hand a 10.0.x retail, a 10.1 upgrade and the 10.2 upgrade CD's.
Is there still a possibility to do an install without erasing the partition?
Regards,
Juergen

If I remember right, with 10.2 and prior to that update discs that wasn't possible. Unless you do an Archive & Install. That should be a selection when you look at different installation options - after that you might want to get rid of the old stuff.
And some things may be problematic when they are done on a upgrade on an upgrade. Clean install is always better.
Doing the Archive & Installl path with 10.0-10.2 isn't wasting space nearly anywhere as much as 10.4...

@Giaguara
Indeed, I have just bought it. Now I have at hand a 10.0.x retail, a 10.1 upgrade and the 10.2 upgrade CD's.
Is there still a possibility to do an install without erasing the partition?
What do you mean by "10.1 upgrade" and "10.2 upgrade"? Some users received MacOSX 10.1 as a free upgrade over MacOS X 10.0. To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as MacOS X 10.2 Upgrade. It is the easiest thing in the world to install MacOS X without erasing the partition. This is how you are supposed to install it.

Rule of thumb: If installing MacOS X is hard, then you are doing it wrong.

@MisterMe

Well, I do know what one can read what is written on the disc itself! They are upgrade discs. Everything is easy when you just know it! I have two HFS+ partitions, a small one for the OSX (may not exceed 8GB) and a big one for the OS 9.2, so I can choose within the Startupdisc option in Systempreferences which OS I am gonna to use (after a restart).
Starting up from the Mac OSX 10.2 upgrade disc the Installation begins and the Installer asks onto which disk I want to install the OSX and displays two disk icons (OS9.2 and OS X), BOTH with red exclamation marks on it. Clicking the OS X disk icon the hint "It is not possible to install.....there is a newer version already installed" appears. AFAIK (after some more search) there is introduced an "Archive & Install" option firstly in OSX 10.2. Probably I have to erase the small partition with diskhelper and install OSX 10.0. and upgrade it to 10.1 to 10.2 to 10.2.8.
Regards,
Juergen

I've seen the 10.2 upgrade discs. So at least for the things that were sold in July 2002 those were an option.

Back up your files and everything you want to the other partition and install clean. That install most likely has been there from 2001...

@all Thanks for the input.

@Giaguara
I am in front of my G3 and guess ... right ... OSX is working like a charm. I erased the OSX partition and installed beginning from 10.0.3 to 10.1 to 10.2 and 10.2.8. (BTW all upgrades must be installed!) and took back apps from the other partition. Just a few dmg files could not be opened.
Regards,
Juergen

Back