Crazy Router

xris

Registered
Hi I Bought the new 20" Dual Intel Imac G5 a couple of months ago with mighty mouse, running OSX 10.4.4 with 1 GB Ram, accesses internet wirelessly.
Also have another 20'' Imac G5 (previous model) with infrared mouse/keyboard, running OSX 10.4.7 with 768MB Ram. Direct access to internet through and Optus provided DLink ADSL modem.
The two computers are about 15 meters apart separated by one brick and one plaster wall.

Also bought (apple salespersons recommendation) a Netgear wireless router to use with the newer computer. It is Hardwired to the DLink ADSL modem and the older computer which has the phone socket nearby.

I get about a 30% signal on the wireless machine, however when both computers are on the internet connection is very unstable and often drops out (on both) completely. This is a real pain when one is doing internet banking or downloading big files. Ofcourse we've never had any problems with the modem or internet before the Router was introduced. Someone suggested a compatibility issue between router and modem. The retailer isn't doing anything.
Any suggestions to help resolve this would be greatly appreciated

cheers
chris

It does sound like the router. You could try taking it out of the equation - if you can plug directly into the ADSL modem and get flawless connectivity, then yes the router is the problem.

What model router is it? Also, what model ADSL modem?

When you say it drops out, do the Macs still recieve wireless signal or does the airport indicator icon drop to zero? Are there any devices in the path of the signal, such as cordless phones, microwave ovens or large speakers, tht might interfere? If you move the wireless Mac closer to the router, does it work OK?

Thanks everyone for your help I Solved the problem by getting rid of the Netgear Router and replacing it with a D-Link, which I must say works MUCH MUCH BETTER (better signal bewteen machines, better/faster connection).

cheers
xris

Back