Creating an FTP server

wdw_

Rockee
I have never been able to get an FTP server up and running. I have read all this stuff about it on the internet, but have never been able to grasp it. So somebody please give me step by step instructions on how to do this.

I feel so ashamed about asking this.:rolleyes:

1. Launch "System Preferences" (/Applications/Utilities/System Preferences).
2. Click on the "Sharing" pane.
3. Click on the "Allow FTP Access" checkbox.
4. Quit "System Preferences."
5. Share and enjoy!

Keep in mind that this configuration will only allow those with user accounts on your X to access FTP, and at that it will be their home directory.

If you want to set up an anonymous FTP server, check in the FAQ/HOW-TO section, it's detailed there (I did it myself and it works a beaute).

Originally posted by chenly
1. Launch "System Preferences" (/Applications/Utilities/System Preferences).
2. Click on the "Sharing" pane.
3. Click on the "Allow FTP Access" checkbox.
4. Quit "System Preferences."
5. Share and enjoy!

I've done this and it gives me an IP address that other people have as well. People have told me it's because I'm connected through a router.

if so, your FTP server will not be accessible from outside, unless the firewall is configured to forward FTP control (and maybe data, if you want to support passive mode) connections specifically to your mac; you would need a fixed internal IP address, as well.

Allowing anonymous ftp access is as simple as creating a /var/ftp directory

Yes - be prepared for a little grief if you are behind a router. I spent the better part of a week attempting to get ftp to work behind a LinkSys router.....sometimes it would owrk and sometimes not....it was completely dependent on what OS and what software client the incoming requests were using. Eventually got it to work - basically by putting the machine outside the router.

Back