Dead/Dying Tray Loading CD-ROM Drive

AurikRain

Registered
Hey!

How's it going all? Today, I'm upset. VERY upset with my dear Rev b. Tangerine iMac. So far, it's managed to chew up any app or test that I've thrown at it. What can I say? I'm a proud iMac owner...until now.

Recently my iMac has been annoyingly stubborn at reading CD-R's or CD-RW's. It doesn't matter what speed, brand or format I burn them. My internal CD-ROM drive doesn't read em. It tries them..and then tosses up an unknown format error message, asking if I want to Eject or Format the CD. This is really frustrating. Even my friends with their Windoze computers can load these CDs, and they're not even in the Wintel format!!! :confused:

Please! Anyone reading this, can you offer advice on what I should do? I need to back up my data, and that's why I dropped $450 CDN on an external CD-RW drive. I don't see why I have to use the burner for everything...especially when I'm experimenting with CD's that you can boot off of when I can't boot off a USB device. ARGH! :mad:

My frustration level is very high right now.

If anyone has any advice to offer, please let me know.

Thanks.

PS. I heard a rumor on the MacAddict forums about a hardware "modification" where you can turn a screw on your CD-ROM drive to change the intensity of the CDROM laser to read the media easier. I've heard of a mod like this for DreamCasts as well. I don't like tampering with my computer's hardware as Apple doesn't really "approve" but if this is true, and someone knows how to do it, let me know. My warranty is gone already and I'm not scared of opening my baby up.

Ok if any Apple folks are reading this, PLEASE offer some sort of advice or Tech posting on your support site for infor on how to fix this. Or even better, as I've heard of this problem from multiple early iMac users....offer to send out replacement CD-ROM drives!!

It happened to mine too. Call an Apple retail store and they'll hook you up with a retailer (non-apple) that can get you a new CD drive as well as bigger hard drives THAT DON'T MELT. (it happened to two of my hard drives - 30gig and 40gig)

That same problem happened on my beige G3 Rev. A. It no longer recognizes audio or burned CD's. I have had no success in finding a cure, even though I haven't actually called Apple (isn't it $35 or so?).

Back