Default Routing in a VPN

paul.lahitte

Registered
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to manage default and specific routeson Mac OS X when using a vpn connexion. I can do this on windows and linux but still haven't find a better way than altering manually the routing tables after connecting to the vpn.

Thank's

Hi there Paul. If I understand what you mean correctly, you don't want ALL of your internet traffic to be sent through the VPN tunnel, just your connection from point A to point B. Am I correct?

Unfortunately, Apple's VPN software, while good and extremely easy to manage, doesn't give all of the functions we could use, especially for routing VPN traffic.

I use a VPN client called, "DigiTunnel." Digitunnel is awesome, and there is an routing section, where you can setup specific routing definitions.

Hope this helps.

I think it's possible to estabish a VPN connection from the command-line. If so, you could script the startup of the vpn and the addition of routes.

Keep in mind that if you're using a vendor's VPN client such as Cisco or Nortel, then the administrator of the VPN concentrator can choose to disallow split-tunneling and there's nothing you can do to circumvent it.

Wade

Back