Deleting Songs from the iPod

Shim

Registered
Shouldn't Apple have built into the iPod software the capability of deleting songs directly from the iPod instead of forcing the user to delete songs via iTunes? Is it something Apple overlooked, or is there a reason behind it? I'm just wondering here since the option to do so would mean more control to the user.

I assume that you're talking about deleting the songs on the iPod with the UI on the iPod? That is, deleting locally? If not, please elaborate, and feel free to ignore the rest of this post... :)

If so, I'm pretty sure it was intentional. Since, when you delete tunes, the assumption is that you're going to put other tunes on it, there's not much point in not doing so with iTunes, is there? True, it does give the user more control, but to do what? Also, I'm pretty sure that there was an element of keeping the UI as simple as possible by not introducing file-management functionality to the pod. Whether they will in the future, I don't know, but as long as the iPod is primarily an MP3 Player/FW disc, I doubt it.

Why in the world would you want to delete a tune when actually using the iPod? You'll never need extra space unless you're actually connected to a computer, in which case you can just launch iTunes and manually delete the songs you don't want via iTunes. Simple as that.

The point of the iPod is to be an MP3 PLAYER, not an MP3 ORGANIZER. There's a big difference, and the fact that the iPod doesn't put deletions and renaming and all that extra junk in the user interface makes it SO damn simple and easy to use. That's the whole point. It's part of the digital hub idea -- make two components, the computer and the iPod, easy to use, but when used in tandem, you can get so much more out of them. Otherwise you have a very confusing menu, and you could end up deleting a song that you didn't want to.

A VERY good implementation on Apple's port, IMHO.

Back