Dilemma: Need To Reinstall OSX, but no Optical Drive

jayded

Registered
macbook ppc g4 btw.

so i obtained a dmg of osx tiger, followed online tutorials to erase and format my ipod and install it there, then attempt to boot via firewire, but just go a folder icon with smiley and "?" upon reboot...so it went back to normal startup.

what other methods should i use to install this dmg on this computer? i have external hd devices but all usb (g4 won't boot from usb). can i create a new partition on the internal hd and install there?

**frustration**

thanx

Use the optical drive of another Mac, or target disk to install it.

Which model is that? iBook?
The install discs aren't universal by default. What is the origin of this install dmg?

well i have no access to another mac, just my windows pc here...

the dmg i got via torrent...2.7gb file, all the feedback suggested it worked fine, but the original install is 10.3....

Hi, jayded. Due to the board rules, we do not support installing illegally downloaded copies of OS X (see the third rule). Your best bet would be to buy a legit copy either through the retailers on this page or through eBay.

You could also go the route of purchasing the upgrade discs to 10.4 which are significantly cheaper than the full install discs. Just reinstall 10.3 and then use the purchased 10.4 upgrade discs to upgrade to 10.4.

oh, well thanx then...i guess i should reward apple for the suicidal disk drive that seems to plague about 80% of all ibook owners by buying a download copy of the OSX disk i already have but can't use.

Yes, I have my qualms with them as well on a few things, but we can't help you with getting an unpurchased copy of 10.4 on a machine that shipped originally with 10.3 (of which you admitted to having discs of). We can point you in the right direction though and help you with getting up and running again in 10.3 if need be.

thanx.

well it's up and running, but the internet connect app is dysfunctional, so i can't establish any wireless or network connections...I've had friends package and send me their program files but that doesn't install it...so i have no option but to try and reinstall the whole thing so that i can get wifi

Back