Direcway DW6000 (Wireless)

MacFreak

Chic Not Geek
I got fed up with highspeed providers since comcast, cox and more are not available for my area so i am thinking about get a DirecWay DW6000 at http://www.direcway.tv/internet_dw6000.htm and I am not sure what the bandwidth will be? I am going to use iChatAv everyday.. I need your opinion before I decided to purchase it. Thanks!

don't try it for Video conferencing. This has to do with the way that Satellite works. From what I hear it sends one big packet then waits. Real world test speeds in my area were around 256k downloads and maybe 56k upload. The speed really doesn't seem that much faster than dial-up for standard web surfing. It is faster downloading files though.

Other experiences could be different though.

I had direcway when i lived out in the country. The latency is a real killer. No good for ichat av. Upload is max 56k. Downloads are great though. I routinely got over 2mbps on large file downloads. For general browsing a dialup is better. Oh and its no cheap either. Look to see if there are any wireless prividers in your area. You get an antenae and point it at their tower to a wifi card in your computer. DSL or better speeds.

Wifi works with a mac and don't let them tell you otherwise. Its just 802.11b over longer distances with high gain antennas.

Back