.dmg files won't copy from DVD-RW to desktop?!?

ian27

It all started at 3......
Hi guys,

My father sent me a disc today which contains the .dmg file of the latest OS X update v10.3.5. I asked him to copy it for me because I'm still using a dial-up connection and get cut off after two hours so haven't enough time to download the file.

However, when I try to drag the .dmg file from the disc onto my desktop it starts copying it and then shows an error saying that it can't read it so aborts. It also does the same thing with another two .dmg files that are also on the disc.

The disc he sent is a DVD-RW. I'm using an eMac (no superdrive). Is it possible for this machine to read DVD-RW? Or maybe some other problem?

Thank you.

Ian

It could be that there is a problem with the disc. If you drive can't read DVD-RW drives, it wouldn't even recognize the disc, much less allow you to copy part of the files before giving up.

Sounds like a toasted DVD-RW to me.

Quite possible. I had a problem with a disc he sent once before. He burns them on his PC so when I suggest it is a problem with the disc he just gives me the "There's nothing wrong with my PC, it's just them rubbish Macs" rant! I'm sure you will already have heard this type of thing a few times yourself.

Thanks for your help.

Back