DNS internal-only network

jasrdunn

Registered
I'm trying to set up a small network with one 10.3.9 OS X server, hosting LDAP users and their home directories to several mac clients. I'm reluctant to set up a DNS, but I'm told that's the only way to run a proper password server for this kind of thing. The network kind of works now, but it's real buggy, and although users can log in, they can't read or write to their own preferences. All other home permissions seem to be OK.
I'm not really sure what I'm doing with DNS, since this is new to me. I've set up a new zone, called Sark, which is configured as follows:
zone "Sark" IN {
file "Sark.zone";
type master;
NS Sark. 192.168.1.110
A Sark 192.168.1.110

The server (sark) is connected to the internet, but I have no intention of using the DNS for external access. I'm only doing this so I can run LDAP and password server properly on the internal network.

- Is this the right approach?
- Should the client machines (in Directory access) access the server LDAP by domain name, IP address, or rendezvous name? (or does it matter)
- does somebody know of a good tutorial or online reference that can walk me through this?
- are there any bugs I should know about?

I appreciate any advice anybody may have for me.
Thank you,
Jason

jasrdunn said:
I appreciate any advice anybody may have for me.
Thank you,
Jason

Use ServerAdmin to setup your DNS. Also for each of your systems who needs to access the DNS, add the FileServer ip-nummer (make it static for sure) to their DNS entry.

There is no real need to use DNS to acces the fileserver from workstations. Just make sure that the fileserver has a static IP-nummer (can be set under NETWORK in CONFIGURATION menu).

I started out without DNS active (worked fine), but because I have several stuff on the network, using names in stead of numbers is easier (to understand and maintain (if you e.g. change the mailserver by a different system and worse a different IP number)).

How to access the information, whatever gives them access (i use by ip-number (either as number or as dns-entry).

I think you will have to look at the HOME directory of the users. This is a flaw in os x, these are not automatically created and required for some preferences.

Goodluck, Kees

Back