Doc Missing and other problems.

Kerm

Registered
Hi this is my first post and let me start by saying nice forum.
I was hopeing that someone here will be able to help with a recent problem my dad has been having. When he logged into his account the usuall desktop was replaced by a blue and black one (a third was blue the rest was black). Also the dock was gone. After getting into systems prefrences (it crashed sevral times while trying to open it) I messed around with the dock setting but It would not appear anywhere. I then tried to fix the desktop, but evertime I opened the desktop preferences systemp refrences would crash. Im on an Imac running OS 10.2.8 The other two accounts on the computer are working fine. I opend console (don't know why I have no clue on how to use Mac CLI) and there was an intresting output from today. Hope It helps.

Mac OS X Version 10.2.8 (Build 6R73)
2004-09-07 19:13:37.877 Dock[652] CFLog (0):
CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:
com.apple.desktop.plist -- /Users/bill/Library/Preferences/
The parser will retry as in 10.1, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.
Sep 7 19:13:38 Bill-Lawrences-Computer crashdump: Crash report written to: /Users/billlawrence/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Dock.crash.log

2004-09-07 19:13:40.343 Dock[656] CFLog (0):
CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:
The parser will retry as in 10.1, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.
2004-09-07 19:13:42.618 Personal Firewall Agent[662] Norton Personal Firewall Agent (662) launched.
2004-09-07 19:13:43.887 Dock[665] CFLog (0):
2004-09-07 19:13:46.085 Dock[669] CFLog (0):
2004-09-07 19:13:48.281 Dock[671] CFLog (0):
2004-09-07 19:13:50.472 Dock[673] CFLog (0):
2004-09-07 19:13:52. Dock[675] CFLog (0): 8

Couldn't fit it in the above post. Alot more of this, no idea if this helps but it is a tenth what I have.

looks like few or your preferences files 'plist' are messed. It would be too tough to fix those, so I would suggest to migrate into a new user account and simply copy your files beside the Library folder to the new account. If you really need some programm preferences files, copy one by one to be sure you will know which file caused you those troubles.
Another thing: repair permissions.
Good luck!

You might be able to identify which plists are corrupted with the plutil command

plutil -s -lint /Users/bill/Library/Preferences/*.plist

will show you any plists that are corrupt

Back