Does anyone know how to demux mpeg files?

alexachucarro

I'm 1/4 Basque you know?...
To Moderators: Sorry the How-To section was locked to me?!!

To Nice People:

I took about 8 MPEG tracks of my JetBoating experience in New Zealand on my Digital Camera. DSC-P5 if you need to know. I want to Put all the clips together and make a little montage, but I can't turn the files into anything.

Does anyone know of a program that actually works where I can turn a Muxed MPEG1 file into a DV Stream?

I'd love some help.

Thanks

Alex

Originally posted by alexachucarro
To Moderators: Sorry the How-To section was locked to me?!!

You should only post in the howto section if you already know a solution to a common problem, so you posted this thread right :)
If someone comes up with a solution here, I'll move it.

Yes, the answer is simple - QuickTime PRO lets you convert MPG to DV stream, then you can easely edit them with iMovie. Other way - past your clips into FInal Cut Pro and export it to DV Stream. As you see there are two difficulties - you have to have QT Pro, or FCP.

Not to mention that if you're doing any iMovie stuff you should have QT Pro, as it allows you to convert things like mp3's to aif so you can import them as soundtracks into iMovie. Otherwise you have to do things like burn the mp3's to an audio cd, then import the songs from the audio cd into iMovie, QT Pro makes it so much easier.

Brian

Originally posted by Dehuti
Yes, the answer is simple - QuickTime PRO lets you convert MPG to DV stream, then you can easely edit them with iMovie. Other way - past your clips into FInal Cut Pro and export it to DV Stream. As you see there are two difficulties - you have to have QT Pro, or FCP.

If the audio track is muxed (mine is) then the DV file has lovely video but no sound.

I'm still waiting for someone to give me a solution!!!

Sounds like a bug.
QT Pro does have the ability to 'extract' a track into a seperate QT file. You could extract the muxed-file's sound into a different movie, save it, then try importing it into iMovie and manually resync it (a pain in the neck, but possibly effective). THEN export the iMovie to DV.

If that doesn't work, you could play the muxed file and capture it's audio using the shareware utility 'audio hijack' - and again try to merge the audio by importing & resyncing in iMovie.

Good luck

There is a app that does that, might be for classic, i haven't used it in a long time. I can't think of the name though. Try SoundApp PPC, I think that exports from a mpeg even though it's for audio. I did it a few times. I will subscribe to this thread and as soon as i find out i will let you know. You will need to put the video and audio together agian. Check out QTMutator, that sounds familiar, but it's not the one i had in mind

Go to Version Tracker .

Search for a program called Merger. It's freeware!!!

It's one of the best kept secrets out there!

You can use it to join the segments, at which point you could then use the other posters' suggestion to export the joined clip to DV Stream using QT Pro.

I hope this helps. Let me know!!!

Cheers!:)

Back