.DS_STORE files on copy from 10.2. to PC?

Hartmurmur

Registered
I am trying to move files to PC servers and additional files show up on the PC drive once copied.

For example, I copy a file called 'monkey.jpg' from my 10.2 machine to the PC and I get other files that appear called ._monkey.jpg and .DS_STORE. These files don't show up on my Mac so I am wondering why they show up on the PC and how I can make it stop!

Those files are created by the Finder and are invisible "dot files" that are normally transparent when viewed in the Finder itself. You can remove them manually in the Terminal before copying to the PC server with this command:

sudo find /directorypath/directory -name ".DS_Store" -exec rm {} \;

(Replace the directory path and directory name with one appropriate to your situation. You can accomplish this by dragging the directory from the Finder to the Terminal window and it will use that path.)

This seems like a lot of work for each and every time I want to copy a file to a PC. I have heard it already... "What are all these files that you are copying to the server?"

In my situation, moving files from OS 10.2 machines to the PC server is going to be a scripted move for updating content on an intranet. I generate the files from my Mac and copy them to a web server repository. Seem like there should be an easier way to accomplish this without any intervention. Moving these files directly from an AppleShare IP server to the PC server does not copy invisible files - UNLESS OS X is involved with the copy.

If the inconvenience is sufficiently annoying to you, you may want to consider DAVE. It will not produce the .DS_STORE files. You can read about it here:
http://www.thursby.com/products/dave-vs-jaguar.html

DAVE stores files in Microsoft NTFS format, which Mac OS X 10.2 does not, according to Thursby. "This is an issue of primary concern for customers who have previously used DAVE or Services for Macintosh, since their information may not be compatible with Mac OS X. Plus DAVE does not create those annoying dot underscore files," said the company.

Hmmm. Just read that on MacCentral today as well.

I'm wondering if Apple has plans to do anything about it.

Tough call. Wait for Apple or go with Dave....

Is that the equivalent of the .frk files that used ot show up when one was copied to a windows 3.1 machine?

Back